20 Aralık 2010 Pazartesi

An interview with Gülçin Vardarcı about autism in her life

Interview with Gülçin Vardarcı about autism in her life




I know Mrs.Gülçin Vardarcı for three years as a volunteer mother of my friend Cem who is a classmate also a music student and recovered from autism.



M. Hello Aunt Gülçin I need to make an interview for my English homework, may I ask you some questions ?

G.V. Of course Melis please don't hesitate.



M. Who are you?

G.V. I am a lady who is 51 y.o.

Happily married,have two brilliant children.A daughter and a son.

I am a housewife available for almost everything.



M. I observe you and think that you are an extreme example of motherhood, where do you get that kind of energy?

G.V. I have a wonderful family,full of love and care.



M. Please tell me about your dughter.

G.V. She is 6 years older than Cem.

She is a pysychologist.She knows English,French and German.

She works with her father.

She makes MBA.president of Rotaract club.Plays tennis.As you can see she is high active like all other members in my family.



M.Could you tell me something about your husband?

G.V.He is electrical engineer.

He still plays basketball.and is workoholic.

We've got married so young and he even went to his military service after we had our lovely daughter Gülser.



M .How could you find out that Cem was a person with autism?

G.V.I didn't. My mother is a pharmacist and she is the only one who felt something was wrong with Cem.



M. How does it feel to have a disabled child?

G.V.Terrible.You feel frightened and desperate.



M Can you tell me something about his illness?

G.V. The first sign for autism is that they don't make eye contact.They are unique.

People with autism don't talk,don't want to be touched ,have severe temper tantrums and they feel like "lost in space",they spin objects and have obsessions.



M. How could you find the right therapy for him?

G.V. It took 5 years after his diagnosis to find the suitable treatment.So he lost most of his precious time of his childhood.



M.Where did Cem get the right therapy?

G.V. In Israel and USA.



M.How could you follow the directions, miles away from the therapists?

G.V. I was lucky because I knew English and German and from time to time we've come together to broaden our views.



M As a miracle he is recovered from autism,how could you manage that?

G.V. I made empathy.I myself became like an autistic . And worked 24 / 7.

I was well educated that helped me and one needs of course some kind of money,time and belief.



M. Tell us about your weaknesses and strengths.

G.V.Sometimes in life it snows and rains in the same time so you must be ready for the unexpected.

I talk too much ,I eat too much but I am very kind hearted.I am a tough cookie.I always know what to do.



M.When did you get the chance to know that Cem is talented in music?

G.V.His sister noticed that when he was playing a rithym exactly the same when Cem was 5 yo.



M.What happenned then?

G.V. She took him to percussion classes when he was 10 y.o.and it is the turning point of Cem's life.



M.How can Cem play his instrument without notes?

G.V. People like Cem are gifted.God somehow have given them some talents that we ordinary people never can have.

He even can play many instruments at a time.It is amazing.They don't have lineer thinking like us.

so I watch him and say, what next?





M.Why do you prefer to come to school with Cem?

G.V. It is not a life style that I choose.

I feel that I am obliged to come because noone knows anything about Cem.



M..Aren't you bored to stay at school for ten hours?

G.V. Be sure that I mostly ask that question to myself either,but to know that a good education and friendship Cem receives make me satisfied and I keep on going.



M What will be your next stop?

G.V I don't do this for my own sake.

I've promised to help him as far as he wants to go to school.

We'll see altogether.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder